Thursday 24 January 2019

Three erotic epigrams from the Greek Anthology


As some readers will already know, this year I'm starting out on a new project, to translate a fairly big selection of epigrams from the Greek Anthology.

Thus far I've worked through a sample from Book 1, the Christian epigrams. Chronologically the most recent, they are placed first in the Anthology because it was assembled in and for a Christian world (Byzantium, some time round about the year 1000). I'm now moving on to the start of Book 5, the heterosexual love poems.

Setting out, I thought I would try a mix of prose (like with Martial) and blank verse. Here is my first attempt at the first four poems from the selection I've picked out. I hope you enjoy them.

1[CEPHALAS’ PROEM]
Kindling in young men’s hearts a heat intense and erudite, I shall make Love the master of my speech: for He it is who makes young men’s torches blaze.

2ANONYMOUS
Sthenelais, city-burner, of steep price,
Whose utterance is gold to those who yearn — 
My dream laid her beside me through the night
Until sweet daybreak, all without a bribe.
No more I’ll beg for favour from that girl
From overseas, nor weep at my own fate:
I’ll sleep, and sleep will grant me my desire. 

4
PHILODEMUS
The silent lamp, complicit partner in 
The things we mustn’t speak of carelessly:
Philaenis, make it drunk with drops of oil.
Then take your leave: for Love alone desires
No living witness; close the jointed door.
And you, dear Xantho… But the lover’s bed
Well knows what Aphrodite has in store. 

5
STATYLLIUS FLACCUS
A silver lamp am I, and Flaccus’ gift
To faithless Napē, faithful witness to
Her night-time loves: I gutter by the bed,
Watching the young girl’s versatile disgrace.
Flaccus, these sore concerns keep you from sleep:
Though we are parted, we are both ablaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment