Friday 11 September 2020

Arms for Apollo; dolls for Artemis

These two epigrams are newly translated for the blog and I enjoy the contrast that comes from pairing them. Mnasalcas was a poet of the early third century BC, so quite early in epigram's literary development; the authorship of 6.280 is unknown.


6.264 (on YouTube)

MNASALCAS


The shield of Alexander, Phylleus’ son,

I hang here as a holy offering

To lord Apollo of the golden hair.

Worn is my rim and tired by constant war,

Worn too my boss, but courage makes me shine,

Courage I earned in arming that brave man

Who set me here. From when I first was made,

I never have been worsted or outdone.


The second epigram sets its scene at the sanctuary of Artemis Limnatis on Mount Taygetus, on the border between Laconia and Messenia. The two states disputed control of the site for centuries. As at Artemis' sanctuary at Brauron in Attica, the cult activities at Limnae centred on rites of passage for girls. Both populations were Dorian, and the epigram gives Doric word-forms to this young Spartan or Messenian girl leaving girlhood behind for marriage.


6.280 (on YouTube)

ANONYMOUS


Timareta is soon to wed, and leaves

Her drums, and lovely ball; the braided net

That bunched her hair; her dolls as well, for you,

Limnaean Artemis. She is a girl,

And you a maiden also, as is right.

She also leaves the clothing of those dolls.

So, Leto, hold your hand above this girl.

The daughter of Timaretus is chaste;

Chastely preserve her on her sinless way.




No comments:

Post a Comment