Friday 10 May 2019

Saint Gregory mourns Saint Basil

Gregory 'the Theologian', son of Gregory of Nazianzus 'the Elder', wrote a sequence of twelve epigrams mourning the death of his great friend Basil, who became Saint Basil 'the Great'. 

These are two of them, from early in the Anthology's eighth book, which I take to be his book, arranged by him. He writes his signature into the first poem to declare his authorship for all time.

8.2
On the great Basil, Bishop of Caesarea in Cappadocia
I sooner thought body could outlive soul 
Than I could live without you, Basil, friend, 
Christ’s workman. Yet I bore it, and remained. 
So must we wait? Will you not take me up, 
And place me in the chorus of the Blessed, 
Where you are stationed? Do not leave me here; 
Do not, I beg: I swear upon your tomb, 
Never will I forget you and move on; 
I could not, if I wanted. Gregory.
8.11
On the same
Fond greeting, Basil, though you went away. 
This little epitaph is Gregory’s; 
Mine was the talk you liked to listen to. 
My Basil, please accept from your friend’s hand 
The gift I prayed never to have to give. 
My godly Basil, to your mortal dust 
I dedicate these dozen epigrams.


No comments:

Post a Comment