Friday 8 July 2022

Three inscribed epitaphs for women

These are versions of real epitaphs, the originals of which collected in Richard Hunter's brand-new Greek Epitaphic Poetry: A Selection. For anyone who knows Greek this is a great treat of a book with lots of helpful notes. These three range from the sixth to the early fifth century and are from Thera, rural Attica, and Thasos respectively. The numbering is that of Hunter's edition.

XLVIII

This tomb commemorates Parthenice,
Child of Thrasysthenes, and too soon gone.
Damocleia commissioned it to mourn
Her sister from the self-same mother born.

XLIX

This tomb is Phrasicleia’s. For all time
I shall be called a maiden, since instead
I drew this name in place of marriage-bed.

L

A handsome tomb: my father set it here,
Since I am dead, Learetē by name;
And nevermore shall I be seen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment