Friday 14 July 2023

The Playboy Anthology

Did you know that at the end of the 1960s Playboy Magazine published two instalments of epigrams from the Greek Anthology? An illustrated feature titled 'Ribald Classics' appeared in many issues of the magazine in that era, introducing modern readers to saucy old-timers such as Boccaccio, and had already supplied the materials for a couple of standalone paperbacks. Apparently some such versions were tinkered up by moonlighting academics under pseudonyms, but to add a touch of prestige to the 1969 and 1970 Christmas issues the editors roped in the long-established and classically educated poet, Harry Brown.

 I might write an article about it one of these days. Here in the meantime is one of Brown's adaptations, based on Philodemus AP 5.46. The original is here if you want to see it (in Paton's translation). It's a conversation between a hetaera and her potential mark; Brown's version relocates it to a modern meat-market.

Hi, chick. Hello. What's your name? What's yours? Phil O'Demus. And you are...?

Mary Jane. Nice name, doll. You here with some stud? No.

Will I do? ... all right. Done! Say, you want to blow the joint now?

I beg your pardon! I mean, find a more Active Spot.

Well ... I dunno. Where, for instance? My pad. I've stereo, soft lights,

Jack Daniel's. Well ... all right. You'll come then, M. J. ? Any time.

How's about coming right now? Heavens, you're eager. Correct, chick.

Well, I'd prefer your pad, but ... all right, that corner booth's dark.

 I'm not sure it's scholarly of me to say it, but I think Brown's a bit of a creep.

No comments:

Post a Comment