Friday 25 January 2019

Striking a deal: two dialogues with sex workers


Two more epigrams from book 5 of the Greek Anthology. One conversation ends in a deal of sorts, though we never hear a price. The dialogue format is unusual, and perhaps influenced by theatre; readers will have needed to stay on their toes, to spot the change of speaker in mid-line.

Philodemus was writing in first-century BC Italy; we know nothing about who wrote the other poem.

46 
PHILODEMUS 
Good day. Good day to you. And what’s your name?
What’s yours? No need for deeper questions yet.
The same to you. And don’t you have a man?
I do — whoever wants me. How about
Dinner with me tomorrow? If you like. 
Good! What’s your rate? You needn’t pay up front.
That’s odd. Just pay me what you think I’m worth,
After you’ve slept with me. You’re very fair.
What’s your address? I’ll send word. Take this down.
What time will you arrive? The time you like.
I’d like it right now. Well then; lead the way. 

101 
ANONYMOUS 
Hello, young miss. Hello back. Who’s your friend?
What’s it to you? I have something in mind.
My mistress. Any chance… What do you want?
Tonight. What’s in it for her? Golden coin.
Well, you’re in luck. This much. I take it back.



No comments:

Post a Comment